According to Wikipedia in 2017, around 450 million death cases have been recorded globally. It has been stated as a major cause of death among all age groups with deaths more than 1.4 million. In the US, 1 million cases are recorded every year out of which nearly 50,000 are dead cases.
Pneumonia is a contagious lung infection in which air sacs become inflamed by filling up of bacteria or virus. The risk factors include over-consumption of tobacco, alcohol, weak immune system, malnutrition, or exposure to toxic chemicals. Symptoms generally include a cough, fever, shaking chills, chest pain while breathing, muscle pain, confusion, and purplish eyes due to poorly oxygenated blood. OTC medications and antibiotics are recommended by doctors.
Some of the natural home remedies to treat and prevent pneumonia are mentioned below.
- Garlic: Garlic has antimicrobial properties that fight off bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It also helps bring down the body temperature and increases expectoration to clear phlegm out of the chest and lungs.
- Cayenne pepper: Cayenne pepper has high capsaicin content that stimulates the release of mucus from the respiratory passages. It is also a good source of beta-carotene, which helps in the healthy development of mucous membranes.
- Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek has mucolytic properties, that is, it helps break up congestion. Furthermore, it induces sweating which reduces fever and helps remove toxins from the body.
- Vegetable juice: Fresh carrot juice, spinach juice, beet juice, cucumber juice, and other vegetable juices are excellent for health when dealing with pneumonia. They boost immunity, dissolve mucus, and aid in detoxification. Being rich in phosphorus and chlorine, parsnip juice, too, is highly beneficial for your lungs and bronchial system.
- Steam inhalation: Steam helps fight infection and improves breathing by relieving coughing and congestion. Few drops of essential oils such as eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree, lemon, or camphor oil can be added to the boiled water. Inhale it for faster and better recovery.
- Oregano oil: Oregano oil combats pneumonia-causing germs due to its antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also helps thin mucus and clear congestion.
- Turmeric: Turmeric works as a mucolytic to expel mucus from the body, particularly from the respiratory tract. Plus, it has antiviral and antibacterial properties that assist in fighting infection.