According to a research, it’s been observed that gout is highly prevalent in developed nations as compared to developing nations. Gout is a common type of arthritis which causes stiffness, swelling, and intense pain in joints.
It is mainly caused by excess amount of uric acid in the blood and risk factors like age, gender, genetics, certain medications, and obesity. The symptoms usually include intense joint pain generally in the big toe of feet which leads to discomfort, inflammation, and redness. It can also affect ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, and fingers. It can lead to complications like kidney stones and recurrent gout. However, it can be prevented by maintaining a high fluid intake and avoiding alcohol.
Some of the natural home cures are mentioned below to treat and prevent gout.
- Lemon juice: To get relief from gout pain, it is essential to alkalize the body and neutralize the excess uric acid in the bloodstream. This can be done easily with fresh lemon juice and baking soda. Along with lemon juice, also eat other fruits rich in vitamin C to strengthen the body tissues.
- Ginger root: The anti-inflammatory properties present in the ginger root can be very helpful in relieving pain and inflammation. There are many ways to use ginger root in the treatment of gout.
- Banana: The high potassium content in bananas will help convert uric acid crystals into a liquid form that will be flushed out of the body later through urination. Bananas also contain moderate amounts of vitamin C, which can be very effective in managing swelling and pain.
- Epsom salt: The high amount of magnesium present in Epsom salt will also improve the condition of your heart and lower high blood pressure. Soaking the affected body part in warm water mixed with Epsom salt relaxes aching muscles and relieves pain.
- Apples: The malic acid present in apples will help neutralize uric acid in the body and thereby relieve gout pain and inflammation. Along with an apple, it is also a good idea to eat raw carrots daily.
- Cherries: Cherries, whether sweet or sour, can also be very helpful in treating gout due to their antioxidant properties. Cherries also contain anthocyanin, which can reduce inflammation as well as minimize flare-ups.
- Activated charcoal: Activated charcoal is known to absorb uric acid; hence, it can be safely used for gout treatment. Those suffering from gout should take a charcoal bath twice or three times a week.
- Apple cider vinegar: The acidity in apple cider vinegar will help relieve acute pain and arthritis. Honey can be added to the remedy to boost the body’s anti-inflammatory response.