According to WHO (World Health Organization), neurocysticercosis is the most common cause of epilepsy in the world. Around 50 million people are affected by epilepsy every year, among which 80% of the population live in developing nations.
Neurocysticercosis occurs when a parasitic infection caused by tapeworm infects the brain and the spinal cord or the CNS (Central Nervous System). Infection can be triggered due to ingestion of uncooked pork harboring tapeworm eggs or getting infected from an infected person. The symptoms of neurocysticercosis usually include a headache, dizziness, blindness, dementia, meningitis, cerebral stroke, and arachnoiditis. Immunosuppressant, anticystocisal drugs like albendazole and even surgical treatments are prescribed by doctors.
Some natural home remedies to treat neurocysticercosis are mentioned below.
- Areca nuts and Pumpkin seeds: A boiled mixture of the extract of nut and pumpkin seed is effective to cure this condition. It prevents the symptoms of nausea and dizziness during the condition.
- Nasya: A herb called Vidanga shall be powdered, then mixed well with cow’s urine, and applied through the nostril. Tapeworms causing neurocysticercosis easily get attracted to animal urine and hence will come down from brain which can get excreted through nose or mouth.
- Poaceae: Extract of Cymbopogon martini grass belongs to family Poaceae is very effective against the causative agent of this neurological condition.
- Cloves: Oil of cloves is very beneficial to treat this condition and reduce the symptoms. It kills the parasite which causes neurocysticercosis in the brain itself with no side effects.
- Garlic: Remedy to almost every disease, garlic is effective in treating the neurocysticercosis condition. It eliminates the symptoms and shows instant relief to the inflammation in the CNS.
- Managing the disease: the disease can be further prevented by managing the disease by handling diet properly, avoiding raw or uncooked pork, and maintaining good personal hygiene.