According to Virtual Medical Center, around 95% of individuals who are HIV positive develop oral thrush at some point in their lives. Oral thrush occurs when a yeast infection develops on the inside of your mouth and on your tongue.
Generally, the infection is caused when there is an uncontrolled growth of harmful bacteria and fungi inside the mouth. It mainly affects infants and toddlers which can be easily treated with the right treatment. There are some risk factors that can certainly trigger the infection like diabetes, HIV, smoking, and dry mouth. The symptoms of oral thrush generally include creamy white bumps in the mouth, cracked dry skin at corners of the mouth, and difficulty in swallowing.
Following are some home remedies to treat oral thrush with natural cures easily.
- Salt: Salt is the best remedy to treat oral thrush. It creates an inhospitable environment for the fungus. It also helps relieve symptoms quickly. Adding salt in warm water can be used to gargle in order to treat the infection.
- Yogurt: Probiotic yogurt contains live or active cultures of the lactobacilli species that can help treat thrush. It also improves the digestion. For treating the yeast infection, only use plain, unsweetened yogurt.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar contains enzymes that can control candida infection. It also restores the body’s pH level to fight the overgrowth of the infection-causing yeast. It also boosts the immune system and gives you a strong defense against candida.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a good remedy to fight an oral infection. It helps eliminate the yeast and reduce the discomforts associated with thrush. Coconut oil is an active agent against different species of candida.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is an effective and inexpensive remedy for oral thrush. It can kill the yeast that causes the infection. It also helps maintain good pH levels in the mouth by neutralizing acids.
- Cinnamon: Its powerful antiparasitic and antifungal properties can control the growth of Candida albicans. The curative effects and antifungal activities of cinnamon oil have a positive impact against Candida albicans.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil works effectively to treat oral thrush. Its powerful antifungal properties help control the growth of yeast and provide quick recovery. The antifungal effects of tea tree oil and its components are highly effective in Candida albicans.
- Garlic: Its antifungal property helps kill yeast in your mouth and it even gives your immune system a boost. The antifungal activity of fresh garlic extract is promising against Candida albicans.
- Olive leaf: Olive leaf has antifungal properties which help destroy the microorganisms that cause oral thrush. It also contains an active ingredient called oleuropein that boosts your immunity.
- Oregano oil: Oregano oil is also effective at inhibiting the growth of the yeast that causes oral thrush. The antifungal activities of oregano oil are effective against Candida albicans and boost the immune system as well.