According to a study in 2005, around 25% of the total population gets affected by urticarial globally which is highly prevalent among children. Hives is a red, raised, itchy skin rash which usually triggered by an allergen.
Some common triggers are medications like NSAIDs and aspirin, infections like influenza, extreme temperatures, allergens like dust mites and pollen, exposure to chemicals and sunlight, and even exercise. The usual symptoms of hives include nausea or vomiting, swelling all around the mouth causing breathing difficulty, cold skin, rapid heartbeat, and a sudden feeling of intense anxiety. Usually, antihistamines are prescribed by doctors in order to treat and further prevent hives.
Some of the natural home remedies to treat the symptoms of hives are mentioned below.
- Cold compress: Most skin allergy specialists suggest cold compresses as the best topical natural remedy for hives. Cold temperature helps shrink the blood vessels and block further release of histamine. This, in turn, alleviates swelling, inflammation, and itching.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is another popular remedy for hives. Its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce inflammation as well as itching. Put two tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl. Add enough water to make a thick paste. Spread the paste on the affected area. Leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has its antihistamine properties which will help relieve inflammation quickly and regulate the body’s immune system response. It also plays a key role in restoring the overall skin health.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal works very well for hives. Its anti-irritating, anti-inflammatory, and soothing properties help provide relief from itching and help your skin heal quickly.
- Ginger: Ginger can be used to treat hives due to its strong anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties. Basically, ginger targets the genes and enzymes that trigger inflammation, in turn improving circulation to the skin, relieving swelling and reducing itching.
- Nettle: Herbalists also recommend nettle as an effective alternative treatment for hives. Being a natural antihistamine and having anti-inflammatory and astringent properties, it relieves swelling, inflammation, and itching.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help reduce redness, inflammation, and itching when applied topically. Also, when taken internally, it stimulates immunity and helps eliminate inflammatory toxins.