According to Houston Chronicle, around 18,700 people in the US die from staph infection every year. The count is greater than the number of deaths from AIDS every year. Staphylococcus aureus is a bacteria mainly found on the skin and hair.
Staph infections are caused by Staphylococcus aureus which mostly causes no major problems but can turn deadly if the bacteria invade deeper into the body, entering the bloodstream, joints, bones, lungs, or heart. It can transmit from person to person through pillows and towels. The bacteria can survive in a dry atmosphere, extreme temperatures, stomach acid, and among high levels of salt. The symptoms usually include skin infections like pus-filled boils, impetigo, cellulitis, food poisoning, dehydration, confusion, and abdominal pain.
Some of the natural home remedies are mentioned below to treat staph infections.
- Manuka honey: Manuka honey contains natural antibacterial and healing properties that can help control a staph infection. It sterilizes the wound, speeds up healing, and eradicates the infection. Phytochemicals in Manuka honey help inhibit the growth of the bacteria causing the infection.
- Garlic: Garlic is a natural antibiotic that helps fight the bacteria responsible for staph infections. It helps reduce the intensity of the symptoms and discomforts associated with this type of infection. It is also good for the immune system.
- Tea Tree oil: Due to its strong antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, tea tree oil is effective for treating staph infection. It also relieves skin discomforts caused by the infection. Tea tree oil was found to be a promising antimicrobial for treating Staphylococcus aureus and wounds.
- Oregano oil: Oregano oil is used for treating staph infection due to its antibiotic properties. Several chemical components in oregano oil help in reducing infection as effectively as traditional antibiotics. There was a positive effect of oregano essential oil on Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermis strains.
- Goldenseal: Goldenseal has antibacterial as well as antiseptic properties that can help disinfect and heal wounds. The compound called berberine helps kill the bacteria responsible for this infection. This herb also helps strengthen the immune system.
- Echinacea: Echinacea contains antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and immune-stimulant properties that help ease the symptoms as well as promote recovery. A standardized Echinacea preparation could control symptoms associated with bacterial respiratory infections.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is very effective for treating the staph infection, thanks to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It contains medium-chain fatty acids, especially lauric acid which helps fight bacteria. It also provides relief from the various skin discomforts.
- Eucalyptus oil: The antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory actions of eucalyptus oil are effective against Staphylococcus aureus and act as a useful broad-spectrum drug against antibiotic-resistant disease. The synergistic effects of eucalyptus oil are effective against antibiotic-susceptible and antibiotic-resistant pathogens.